You will live the rest of your life with regret if you give up on your dream, your goal, your mission. This is what I live with everyday of my life. I had a one in a million chance of playing football for the University of Alabama from 1989-1993. For those of you who know me, you know I was a walk-on under Coach Bill Curry as a Linebacker. I was one of the 5. They said that their walk-on program was one of the hardest in the country amongst Division 1 teams. I was told,” You have everything against you son, size, height, speed”. I was told.” these are men amongst boys out here”. There were 50 young men from all over the country who attempted to earn one of the 5 spots on the roster. The 5 week program was Killer to say the least. They were dropping like flies, carried out on stretchers, walking away. Quitting! Giving Up!
I gave up on my dream the second year under Coach Gene Stallings. I walked away. I went home. I Quit! I said, “I Give Up”. I regret it every single day. Don’t allow yourself to live the rest of your life with regret!
Here are 10 ways to help you achieve your dreams, your goals, your mission:
- Talk to someone you can trust in the field: Explain how important this goal is to you. Explain how you are feeling. Ask for their advice if they were faced with X. I didn’t have this. You NEED to do this before you give up.
- Ask your family, friend(s) who know you and know how you are for their opinion. Stay away from the Nay-Sayers, Negative Nellies, Jealous Jackies.
- Take a step back: Take the time you need to think about the consequences if you stop pursuing your goal/dream. What will the outcome be if I stick with this? What will the outcome be if I walk away?
- Practice Positive Talk: I can do this! I can make it! I am important! I am a great person!
- Learn everything you possibly can: Seek out someone that has accomplished what you want to accomplish. Take them out to lunch and learn from them.
- Commit to goals, short term and long term. Start with the end in mind – long term goal – and work backward when writing goals.
- Work on your dream every day of your life. Fill all the minutes and hours you’ve allotted with serious determination one day at a time.
- Give it all you can. There will be days when you don’t feel like giving it your best. Give it your best anyway for that day. Do not cheat yourself by not pursuing your dream. Give it everything you’ve got. If you have to walk away, know that you gave it your all. Live with NO Regrets!
- Keep a journal. Write down what you accomplish every day. Just a few words will do, or else you will create yet another job, which you don’t need.
- Celebrate your achievements! Reward yourself with pre-determined gifts. Treat yourself. For your ultimate goals, give yourself the greatest reward. And then set new goals. You CAN achieve more!
Associate with people like yourself who enjoy the same kinds of pursuits. During your friendships, offer support to your peers. They will then be there for you when you need it.
Without dreams we have nothing to look forward to~John R. Salkowski
Live your LIFE with NO Regrets!
I’m John R. Salkowski, Founder of Achieve Success Academy, Retired Police Officer, Entrepreneur, Motivational Speaker and America’s Leading Authority on Overcoming Adversity and Achieving Your Life’s Mission. I can be reached by email at John@JohnSalkowski.com